Tuesday, August 03, 2010

What?

From My Utmost For His Highest:

"We are not taken into a conscious agreement with God’s purpose— we are taken into God’s purpose with no awareness of it at all. We have no idea what God’s goal may be; as we continue, His purpose becomes even more and more vague. God’s aim appears to have missed the mark, because we are too nearsighted to see the target at which He is aiming. At the beginning of the Christian life, we have our own ideas as to what God’s purpose is. We say, 'God means for me to go over there,' and, 'God has called me to do this special work.' We do what we think is right, and yet the compelling purpose of God remains upon us. The work we do is of no account when compared with the compelling purpose of God. It is simply the scaffolding surrounding His work and His plan."

 

At what point will I let go of trying to figure out what God is doing and just trust that he knows what he's doing? When will I be content to simply look around where I'm at and join him in whatever he's doing there? When will I learn to accept my limitations and weaknesses and embrace the "vagueness" of a plan I can never fully grasp?

I long for a relationship with God that has no seams. No boundaries. No fences. I don't feel "called" to do much of anything anymore -  aside from loving God and my neighbors and stuff like that; you know, the stuff we're all called to do - but maybe that's a good thing.

Then again, who knows? It's all kind of vague, isn't it?

Posted via email from JasonHarwell.com

No comments: