Monday, October 11, 2010

Who are we following, really?

1 Corinthians 1:10-17 NIV

 10I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. 11My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas[a]"; still another, "I follow Christ."

 13Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into[b] the name of Paul? 14I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. 16(Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don't remember if I baptized anyone else.) 17For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

 

Seems we still do as the Corinthians did. I mean, everybody's got "their guy." I wonder if sometimes it's good to remember that neither John Piper nor Mark Driscoll, Tim Keller, Rob Bell, Francis Chan, Andy Stanley, Rick Warren or [fill in the blank with your Christian leader/author/pastor of choice] actually saves you from anything.

I'm not hating on those guys, by the way, just a reminder to keep your head on straight.

 

Posted via email from JasonHarwell.com

No comments: