Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Some quick items of note

May always finds a way to be full of stuff to do. Athens is always buzzing during the first half of the month with thousands of people graduating, followed by hundreds of high school students graduating in the second half, so maybe that's part of it. I always intend to take things a bit easier in May, but that never seems to work out according to plan. Nevertheless, here's a quick roundup of the comings and goings around here.

1. 500 Songs for Kids at Smith's Olde Bar with the Fuzzies.
On May 7th, I had the distinct pleasure of being part of the fun at this year's 500 Songs for Kids fundraiser with the Warm Fuzzies. We had the opportunity to put our own spin on Buddy Holly's classic, "Peggy Sue," and we seized that opportunity. And by that, I mean we all bought gigantic "Buddy Holly-esque" glasses and put on ties. If you're not familiar with what Josh Rifkind is doing with 500 Songs, I'd encourage you to take a moment and check it out. What's not to like about musicians going into children's hospitals and playing music? Medicine is really only one kind of medicine, you know.

This year marked my third time participating, and it was by far the most fun song we've gotten yet. I also think Laura should forego all keyboard stands in the future and just sit on a park bench or something like in this photo. She's so rock n' roll she doesn't even need support.

2. Maybe 7 Songs For Kids at Molly's School
A few days after the Fuzzies destroyed Buddy Holly's legacy, I went and rocked out at First Presbyterian Weekday School here in Athens with my daughter Molly's class at their end-of-the-year party. As you can see, everyone is enjoying my musical stylings, except perhaps for that one little girl looking at the camera. She's not feeling it, I'm afraid. We nearly tore the roof off the joint with our scorchin' versions of "Farmer in the Dale" and "I'm A Little Teapot," and while no mosh pit broke out, one child did have to go to the bathroom.

3. Micah's new EP.
My good friend (and former Rebuilt artist) Micah Dalton is getting ready to release his new EP (recorded by my good friend and former Rebuilt artist Paul Reeves) called Gathered 'Round The Greasefire pretty soon, and I've really enjoyed listening to it. Micah just gets better and better. He was kind enough to drop by for a few minutes to bring me a copy and to listen patiently as Molly talked his ear off. She's good at that. 

Check it out at www.micahdalton.com.

So there's your quick photo roundup. 

In some sad news, my great friend Parks lost a niece and a sister within a span of days, and I was glad to be able to drive up to Chattanooga to Marie's visitation with some old friends. There is no easy, friends, only harder and harder. And it's supposed to be that way because it gets harder and harder because you're loving deeper and deeper. My heart hurts for the Carpenter family, and we'll continue to pray that they will find rest and peace (and comfort) in the days ahead.

That's it for now.

Posted via email from JasonHarwell.com

No comments: