Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Um, about "giving up"

Okay, so I'm not giving up completely. I guess I didn't do a very good job of being clever as a writer with my last post (or maybe it was way longer than the limits of attention span).

Either way, allow me to clarify:

I love music, and I will certainly continue to write and record it as long as I have the ability to do so.

That post was really about a realization that more than a ways to make a living (or to attempt to make a living), music is a very essential part of my life. It helps me have some semblance of balance as a human. In short, if I don't make music, everything gets out of whack. I need to make music.

Now since writing and recording (and occasionally performing) songs is something that keeps me sane, I have decided to give my time to it in the most healthy way I can. And for me this means I'm not shooting for a career at it, nor am I looking to make any real money from it. Somehow this feels great - I get to do what I love without the parts that really dragged me down.

It also frees me up to see if there are ways in which the art I make (notice I said "art" and not "music") can do something. You know, raising money and awareness for people and organizations that are doing what Jesus did - healing the sick, caring for the marginalized folks around us, and generally looking to do for others instead of ourselves. Things that resonate closely to my own heart.

More on all this as things come to pass. Of course, they may not come to pass. I guess you'll have to wait and see. Or not - that's what freedom is kind of about. Just know that though my musical output as been pretty nonexistent for a while, I have been writing and demoing new stuff for since February of last year. It's been slow, and it's kind of different, but I'm the most excited about my own music now than I've been since Alive in the Fall.

I hope you'll stick around to see what comes of it, but hey, if not, thanks for stopping by.

Posted via email from JasonHarwell.com

No comments: